Mnangagwa bomb haunts suspects

Mnangagwa bomb haunts suspects
Published: 11 July 2018 (203 Views)
The two suspects fingered in connection with the June 23 White City Stadium bombo attack - Douglas Musekiwa and John Zulu - whose ages were not given - are living in perpetual fear and have been ostracised by the communities they live in.

The bomb blast, which authorities say was targeted at President Emmerson Mnangagwa, killed two security aides and left at least 47 other people seriously injured - including senior government officials.

Mnangagwa escaped injury when an explosive device was detonated as VIPs left the stage at White City Stadium.

The 75-year-old Zanu-PF strongman had just finished his address to thousands of party supporters who had packed the venue of his penultimate humiliation last year by former president Robert Mugabe and his then influential wife, Grace.

The explosive device, suspected to be a hand grenade - went off moments after Mnangagwa had just stepped off the stage - seriously injuring one of his deputies Kembo Mohadi and senior Cabinet minister Oppah Muchinguri-Kashiri, as well as a host of other people.

Both Mohadi and Muchinguri-Kashiri were later airlifted to South Africa for specialist treatment.

On Saturday June 30, there was frenzied media and public interest here as the two men were brought to court for the attempted assassination of Mnangagwa.

Southern News tracked down the suspects to their base in Old Pumula suburb to try and hear out their story.

This publication caught up with Zulu, a popular tout at the Old Pumula taxi rank. However, efforts to get hold of his other colleague Douglas, a taxi driver, were not successful.

One thing that could be easily noticed was that Zulu is now living in fear and is now being haunted by the "bomb".

"We were released last Monday (July 2). The police said we should go home as they are still conducting further investigations and might summon us back if they find anything on us," Zulu, who looked uneasy throughout the interview, told Southern News.

"We were picked up by police in plain clothes a week after the bombing incident. They found me here at the shops where I operate as a tout.

"They told me I was under arrest and they asked me where they could find my colleague, Douglas, and I took them to his place," he said.

Zulu admitted that they were part of the Zanu-PF star rally at White City Stadium on June 23.

"On the day, we had nothing much to do so went to ... the rally and we were seated in the front but as for that bomb thing we saw nothing."

Asked how they became prime suspects in the matter, Zulu said:

"They (police) showed us a camera where we were captured at the rally and it was us in the pictures. So, they tracked us using those pictures until they found me at the shops because I am well-known here so it was easy for them to get me."

During the incarceration, Zulu said they were only interrogated on the matter but "we were never at any point tortured or enforced to admit to the crime."

But above all, the allegations over such a serious crime which could even attract a death sentence on conviction, has just left him shattered.

"This thing has destroyed my life, no one wants to employ me now as they see me as a criminal. All the people I used to work with are now distancing themselves from me. And you know how it is when people start fearing associating with you," he narrated.

"The worst thing is that we are living in fear because the police told us not to talk about this matter and we now feel that wherever we are, we are being stalked."
Midway in the interview, his relatives interrupted before they ordered the news crew to leave as they have been persecuted enough over the matter.

Mnangagwa has since blamed the attack on the vanquished Generation 40 (G40) faction of Zanu-PF - which was involved in a war of attrition with him in the deadly battle to succeed then president Robert Mugabe.

"I don't know whether it was one individual - I would think it is broader than one person. I would think this is a political action by some aggrieved persons," Mnangagwa told the BBC then.

Asked further whether he trusted Grace or not, he retorted: "On what basis would I trust someone who was used by a cabal to say things that had no basis?"

The annihilated G40 was, before the military intervention, locked in a bitter war with Mnangagwa and his supporters for the control of both Zanu-PF and the country.



- dailynews

 0

You May Like These Videos

Comments

There are no comments.

Latest stories

Jonathan Moyo describes Mnangagwa's new dispensation as nonsense

by Stephen Jakes | 22 July 2018 | 40 Views

25 July Set for 'Mthwakazi Parliamentary Indaba and Ordination'

by Stephen Jakes | 22 July 2018 | 41 Views

ROHR granted observer status

by Stephen Jakes | 22 July 2018 | 36 Views

'New dispensation', same old lies

by Ishemunyoro Mupokosera: MDC Alliance Candidate for Mudzi South Constituency | 22 July 2018 | 33 Views

'We don't regret land reform,' says Mnangagwa

by Staff reporter | 22 July 2018 | 48 Views

Hey, women of Zimbabwe, defend one of your own!

by Bishop | 22 July 2018 | 31 Views

Go to court if aggrieved: Sadc

by Staff reporter | 22 July 2018 | 27 Views

Printing of ballot papers almost complete, says ZEC

by Staff reporter | 22 July 2018 | 35 Views

Mnangagwa to officiate at Mugabe airport groundbreaking ceremony

by Staff reporter | 22 July 2018 | 29 Views

'Zanu-PF not worried by small parties'

by Staff reporter | 22 July 2018 | 21 Views

Chamisa trashes Elders, Sadc counsel

by Staff reporter | 22 July 2018 | 42 Views

Batoka project on course

by Staff reporter | 22 July 2018 | 31 Views

Chiwenga to open Gold Centre

by Staff reporter | 22 July 2018 | 28 Views

Zimbabwe - Walvis Dry port commissioning set for August

by Staff reporter | 22 July 2018 | 34 Views

Free range chicken breeder eyes Asian market

by Staff reporter | 22 July 2018 | 32 Views

Moyo talks development

by Staff reporter | 22 July 2018 | 27 Views

Endorsement of Military rule by AU and SADC

by Sinqobile Sibanda | 22 July 2018 | 30 Views

Chamisa to take to the streets

by Staff reporter | 22 July 2018 | 30 Views

MDC-Alliance aspiring councillor in stands scam

by Staff reporter | 22 July 2018 | 21 Views

Kofin Annan crush Chamisa poll demands?

by Staff reporter | 22 July 2018 | 19 Views

Chigumba's sex life and the pitfalls of social media

by Tawanda Majoni | 22 July 2018 | 38 Views

Pokello, the ultimate 'wife material'

by Staff reporter | 22 July 2018 | 19 Views

Who is stealing your vote?

by Knowledge Moyo | 22 July 2018 | 34 Views

fastjet pledges to help revive Bulawayo

by Staff reporter | 22 July 2018 | 19 Views

Chombo off the hook

by Staff reporter | 22 July 2018 | 22 Views

Mujuru to win the Zimbabwe presidential election on July 30

by Staff reporter | 22 July 2018 | 31 Views

What government awaits Zimbabwe next week?

by Zifiso Masiye | 22 July 2018 | 41 Views

Grace Mugabe and hubby hit with $756,401k bill

by Staff reporter | 22 July 2018 | 20 Views

Mnangagwa appeals for racial unity in Zimbabwe

by BBC.com | 22 July 2018 | 16 Views

Healing after the election

by Erick Matotoba | 22 July 2018 | 29 Views

Heath Streak's lawyer rubbishes Zimbabwe Cricket settlement claims

by Staff reporter | 22 July 2018 | 17 Views

Kofi Annan snubs Mugabe

by Staff reporter | 22 July 2018 | 20 Views

Chamisa says Angola is sending top envoy to Harare

by Staff reporter | 22 July 2018 | 16 Views

'We removed Mugabe, not the Zanu-PF system'

by Staff reporter | 22 July 2018 | 16 Views